Hobsons Bay City Council
Home / History / The Canons
The Canons

The large Armstrong cannons (1864) in John Morley Reserve on The Strand were placed in the years after the Crimean War, to repel a possible Russian naval offence. This never came, and the two mighty guns have never been fired in anger. There are two further Armstrong guns within Gellibrand Fort.  As people picnic and walk their dogs nearby, the guns point dutifully out to sea, still awaiting the attack of the Tsar’s warships.

For feedback and comments please contact the Tourism Officer at Hobsons Bay City Council on (03) 9932 1000 email visitorinformation@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au