Hobsons Bay City Council
Home / History / The Strand
The Strand

The Strand was where Williamstown’s wealthiest citizens lived. The grandest residence, ‘Maritimo’, was built in 1885, and ‘redeveloped’ as a block of flats in 1973 - before people became more conscious of the need to preserve their heritage. Its elaborate wrought iron fence was preserved, at 8 The Strand. 

A few beautiful houses from the Victorian age have survived. Look at ‘Mandalay’ at number 24 (not as massive as the rambling mansion in ‘Rebecca’), numbers 10/11 and 12 are of interest, and also the ‘White House’, a lovely and compact masterpiece of Edwardian housing, which still stands at 5 The Strand. 

Another interesting house in Williamstown is the Tudor House (1884), on the corner of Pasco Street and Electra Street, a few minutes walk from the Historical Society museum.

For feedback and comments please contact the Tourism Officer at Hobsons Bay City Council on (03) 9932 1000 email visitorinformation@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au