Hobsons Bay City Council
Home / History / The Tide Guage House
The Tide Guage House

This small bluestone building was built in the late 1850s by convict labour from the old prison hulks, and originally stood at Point Gellibrand. It kept a record of tides until 1943, when it was abandoned. The Tide Gauge was moved to Commonwealth Reserve in 1955. It now stands near the anchor of the ‘Nelson’, one of the flagships of the old Victorian Colonial Navy.

For feedback and comments please contact the Tourism Officer at Hobsons Bay City Council on (03) 9932 1000 email visitorinformation@hobsonsbay.vic.gov.au